Christmas is just around the corner, and you might be wondering what to get for your loved ones. Sure, you could buy them something from the shops, but wouldn’t it be more meaningful and personal to make your own Christmas gifts?
Making your own gifts is not only a great way to save money and reduce waste, but also a fun and creative activity that can bring you joy and satisfaction.
Plus, your recipients will appreciate the thought and effort you put into their presents.
Here, the Christmas.co.uk team share some tips on how to make your own Christmas gifts and some reasons why making your own gifts is such a great idea.
Ideas for what to make as your Christmas gifts
Lots of people want to make their own gifts at Christmas but don’t believe they have the skills or imagination to deliver something they will be proud to hand over.
Here, the Christmas.co.uk team list some great and easy ideas to consider:
Knitting: You can knit a cosy scarf, hat, gloves, socks, sweater, or blanket for your loved ones. Knitting is a relaxing and rewarding hobby that can produce beautiful and warm gifts. You can choose from different yarns, colours, patterns, and styles to suit the recipient’s taste. You can also add some personal touches like embroidery, pom-poms, or tassels.
- Baking: You can bake some delicious treats like biscuits, cakes, pies, breads, muffins, or brownies for your friends and family. Baking is a fun and creative way to show your love and appreciation. You can decorate your goodies with icing, sprinkles, nuts or chocolate. You can also pack them in festive boxes, bags or tins.
- Woodworking: You can make some useful and durable items like cutting boards, coasters, trays, boxes, shelves, or picture frames using wood. Woodworking is a skill that requires patience and precision but can result in amazing and lasting gifts. You can choose from different types of wood, shapes, sizes, and finishes. You can also carve, paint, or engrave your woodwork to make it more personal.
- Creating homemade bath and body products: You can create some soothing and pampering products like soap, bath bombs, candles, lotion, lip balm, or scrub using natural ingredients. Creating homemade bath and body products is a way to express your care and concern for the recipient’s well-being. You can customise your products with different scents, colours, shapes and additives. You can also label and wrap your products in attractive containers and packaging.
- Jewellery: You can make some stunning and unique jewellery pieces like earrings, necklaces, bracelets, rings, or brooches using beads, wire, clay, resin or metal. Jewellery is a classic and timeless gift that can suit any occasion and style. You can design your jewellery with different patterns, colours, textures and charms. You can also use recycled or upcycled materials to make your jewellery eco-friendly and original.
- Other ideas: You can also make some other creative and thoughtful gifts like ornaments, bookmarks, magnets, keychains, mugs, cushions or aprons using various materials and techniques. You can use paper, fabric, felt, clay, paint, glue or embroidery to make these gifts. You can also personalise them with names, initials, quotes or even photos.
Why make your own Christmas gifts this year?
There are many benefits of making your own gifts for Christmas and it’s not just for those with young children. Anyone can be inspired to create something that expresses their creativity or shows a deep understanding of the person you are making the gift for. Here are more reasons why making a festive gift is worth considering!
Before we dive into the how-tos, let’s explore why crafting your own Christmas gifts is such a wonderful tradition:
- Personalisation: Making your own gifts can show your recipients how much you care about them. You can tailor your gifts to their preferences and personalities – and you can add a personal touch by writing a note or card to go along with your gift. Whether it’s a hand-knitted scarf or a custom-made candle, your gift will be a reflection of your thoughtfulness.
- Cost-effective: Making your own gifts can be budget-friendly, helping you save money during the often-expensive festivities. It’s an excellent way to give meaningful gifts without breaking the bank.
- Quality Time: Crafting gifts provides an opportunity to spend quality time with loved ones. Gather your family or friends for a crafting session, and you’ll create lasting memories together.
- Sustainability: In an age of increasing environmental awareness, DIY gifts often have a smaller carbon footprint compared to store-bought items. Making your own gifts can help you reduce the amount of waste that is generated during the festive season. You can avoid buying products that come in excessive packaging or that are made of non-recyclable materials. You can also reuse or recycle items that would otherwise end up in the landfill.
- Save the planet!: Making your own gifts can not only be much cheaper than buying them from the shops, but you can use materials that you already have or that are inexpensive. You can also avoid paying for shipping or delivery fees if you order online.
- You express yourself: Making your own gifts can allow you to express yourself and showcase your talents and skills. You can create something that reflects your style and taste. You can also challenge yourself and learn new things along the way.
- You have fun: Making your own gifts can be a fun and enjoyable activity that can boost your mood and confidence. You can also share the fun with your family or friends and bond over your creations.
Tips on how to make your own Christmas gifts
The first step is to know who you are making a Christmas gift for. Are they a good friend with a passion or hobby they love? Is the gift for a relative who has achieved something recently you want to celebrate? Here are the tips and steps you need to deliver a gift that means so much to you:
Plan ahead: Making your own gifts can take some time and preparation, so don’t leave it until the last minute. Start thinking about what you want to make, who you want to make it for, and what materials and tools you will need. You can also do some research online or in books for tutorials and instructions.
- Consider the recipient: Think about the recipient’s interests, hobbies, and tastes when choosing what to make. You can make themed gifts based on the interests or hobbies of your recipients, such as gardening, cooking, reading and gaming.
- Choose your craft: Pick a craft that aligns with your skills and interests. Popular choices include knitting, baking, woodworking, and creating homemade bath and body products.
- Buy supplies or use what you have: Make a list of the materials you’ll need and collect them in advance. This helps streamline the crafting process. But remember, you don’t need to buy expensive or fancy materials to make your own gifts. You can use things that you already have at home, such as old clothes, jars, bottles, magazines, newspapers, cardboard, etc. You can also upcycle or repurpose items that you no longer use or that are broken, such as turning an old sweater into a cushion cover, or a broken necklace into a keychain. For example, you can make a beautiful and fragrant candle using an old jar, some wax, a wick and some essential oils. You can melt the wax in a microwave-safe container, add some drops of your favourite essential oil, and pour the mixture into the jar. Then, insert the wick and let it cool. You can decorate the jar with some ribbon, stickers or paint. You can also make a matching gift tag using some cardboard and a marker. This way, you can create a unique and personalised gift that shows your creativity and caring nature.
- Be creative: There is no limit to what you can make with your own hands and imagination. You can make anything from jewellery, candles, soap, bath bombs, ornaments, bookmarks, coasters, magnets, photo frames, etc.
- Add a personal touch: Whether it’s a handwritten note, a monogram, or a special message, personalise each gift to make it unique.
- Have fun: Making your own gifts should not be a stressful or boring task. It should be an enjoyable and rewarding experience that allows you to express yourself and show your love. You can also involve your family or friends in the process and make it a social activity. You can also play some music or watch some videos while you work.
Inspiration for making your own Christmas gifts
If you need some inspiration or guidance on how to make your own Christmas gifts, YouTube is a great source of ideas and tutorials. Here are some of the channels and videos that we found helpful:
- 5-Minute Crafts: With more than 80m subscribers, you know this channel is delivering great craft ideas that viewers appreciate. The channel has hundreds of videos on how to make easy and quick crafts using everyday items. We loved how creative the ideas are for using a bracelet making kit – cheap and effective.
- HGTV Handmade: This channel features various crafters who share their projects and tips on how to make beautiful and unique gifts. There are some great ideas here – and with more than 900k subscribers, you will find something that will interest you. For example, the video on how to make a (small) Christmas tree using string and fabric stiffener is an interesting idea.
We also love this video from Shrishti: The art lover, of five impressive (and easy!) crafts to make. We liked how you can turn an empty matchbox into a Christmas tree decoration!
And for those who are good with sewing then this offering from ‘Notes from the Sewing Room’ is worth watching – these include free and no pattern projects. Not only is there a really good toiletries bag idea but the table runner creation is something that can be used for years afterwards.
Looking for crafting ideas for children? Then this cracking offering from Mister Maker is for you. His ‘Mister Maker’s Fun 40+ Minute Makes!’ really is fun – and while not a festive video, the ideas here can be adapted to be a festive offering. You are, after all, being creative! We enjoyed the monster hat and the frog pen pot. Both are great gifts for grandma!
Finally, we adored this video from Sam Calcott – Novelty gift ideas, Fun ways to decorate this Christmas! We enjoyed the first section that turned old Christmas cards into impressive tree decorations and present tags and the versions using a shop-bought die characters will really impress! The angel for the Christmas tree is a great way to impress.
Tips and advice to make your own Christmas gifts
Making your own Christmas gifts is a heartwarming tradition for many people and families that adds a personal touch to the festive season. By planning ahead, choosing meaningful crafts, and adding your unique flair, you can create presents that your loved ones will cherish for years to come.
And don’t forget, it’s not the thought that counts – it’s the effort! Knowing you have come up with an idea for a loved one and then spent time bringing it to life will mean a lot to the recipient.
The act of crafting gifts also fosters a sense of togetherness and creativity when you work alongside children, family or friends at this special time of year.
So, unleash your creativity and make this Christmas a season of handmade love and thoughtful giving.